It was 1939 and the suburbs of Washington,  DC were quickly growing.  The Board of American Missions of the United Lutheran Church surveyed the community about the need for a mission proclaiming the love of Jesus Christ.  August 15, 1939 mission developer Pastor Milton Bieber met with a few faithful folk to discuss the beginnings and possibility of what would later be Saint Luke.   The first service of all interested was held in the Masonic Hall in Silver Spring, September 10, 1939, with 63 people present.

During this meeting all voted to continuing these worship services,  begin a Sunday School, and appoint an ongoing Advisory Committee. More and more people attended and on January 14, 1940 Saint Luke Lutheran Church was officially organized, and the constitution adopted. Soon the church was admitted and welcomed into the Maryland Synod.

Growth led to a building site purchased at the corner of Highland and Colesville Roads in Silver Spring, and soon the building campaign began. During this time, July 1941,  the congregation moved the meeting site from the Masonic Hall to the Silver Theater (now the American Film Institute).  Groundbreaking for the first unit took place on November 25, 1944 with the building completed in 1946, and dedication took place April 7, 1946.

People gathered to hear the Good News,  the ministry and mission grew and on May 9, 1954 the Christian Education Building was dedicated.  Then in 1957 Saint Luke saw the establishment of a Christian Day School which flourishes today.  Later came another addition with the beautiful Fireside Room and Music Room and the purchase of land near Frederick , MD. (Comus, MD) which would be the beautiful location of Saint Luke’s Conference and Retreat Center, Hallowood.

Today, Saint Luke is a congregation of over 1900 members with worshippers from many countries, and includes multi-faceted programs for all ages, including the thriving Christian  Day School and lovely Conference and Retreat Center, Hallowood, an exciting drama outreach, Tent Troupe,  and the congregation supports a Latino ministry, La Sagrada Familia.  God is good.

The church, though, is not the bricks and mortar – it is the people of God and you are so welcome.  Come, let us be God’s people together.